To chew gum with orthodontics or NOT to chew gum with orthodontics?
Chewing gum with orthodontics has been debated for years!
First, let us talk about why our patients are in orthodontics?
- Optimal restorative outcome
- Correcting occlusal trauma
Old theories: Chewing gum bends wires … Chewing gum knocks off brackets … Chewing gum breaks clear aligners … Chewing gum sticks to braces and clear aligners.
Buckle up! It’s time for change!
New technology and new research
- Chewing gum decreases pain with orthodontic tooth movement.
- Chewing gum increases healthy orthodontic tooth movement.
- Chewing gum increases patients’ compliance with wearing clear aligners.
- Chewing xylitol-based gum reduces caries, neutralizes pH, kills Streptococcus mutans.
I know what you’re thinking — “My patients can just use various chewing devices and vibration appliances.”
I’m thinking, “Why are you giving your patients a choking hazard that harbors bacteria?”
Or “Why are you making your patients buy an expensive product that they won’t use?”
Fortunately, there is a solution! Active® by OrthoGum Inc.
Active® is a specifically engineered, ultra-low tack, sugar-free gum that will not stick to aligners or brackets. It is clinically proven to kill bacteria and biofilm, reduce dry mouth symptoms, accelerate treatment, and freshen breath.
Help your patients reach their goal of wearing their aligners 22 hours a day. hours a day. Visit www.OrthoGum.com.
This information was provided by OrthoGum.