The average person in the UK spends hundreds of pounds each year on dental care.
In recent years, there has been a greater desire for a smile that not only feels healthy but looks good as well. This has led more people to consider treatments that improve the appearance of their smile.
But are the correct consumer choices being made?
There is a growing concern about the number of quick and cheap cosmetic solutions on the market. These are often found online and lead to people performing their own dental work at home.
This can be highly dangerous and could put your health at risk.
That’s why we have launched Safe Smiles – a charity campaign by the Oral Health Foundation that gives you unbiased, trusted and expert advice about cosmetic treatments.
Top tips for safe dentistry
When carried out correctly, cosmetic dentistry is extremely safe and can have many benefits.
We are here to help steer you in the right direction so that you can make informed and safe choices about your treatment.
Here are some essential tips for cosmetic dentistry that will help keep your safe smile:
- For the best, safest and healthiest smile, always visit a dental professional within a dental practice.
- Before having cosmetic dental work, check that the person carrying it out is registered with the GDC. If their name is not on the list, it means are are not legally allowed to treat you. It could put you at greater risk of severe and long-term damage.
- No matter how simple it seems, never try to change the colour, shape or alignment of your teeth at home. For a safe smile, always visit the dentist and follow their advice.
- Avoid following advice from unqualified influencers on social media and do not be tempted into DIY home treatments advertised online. Products that are trusted, safe and effective will be sold at a dental practice and recommended by the dentist.
- Have your dental treatment in the UK and avoid going abroad for treatment. Dental tourism may leave you with added complications and the standards of care often vary.
- If you play sport, have a mouthguard custom-fitted by your deal team.
By following these steps and putting your smile in professional hands, you can avoid unnecessary complications that put your smile at risk. The best choice is always the one the keeps your smile safe as well as looking great.