The Canadian dental associations have prepared a Canadian Dental Care Plan (CDCP) Proposed Framework with their recommendations for the federal government’s upcoming CDCP. They developed this framework using their expertise and research on what would create a strong program for all patients and dental care providers.
The main points listed for a successful CDCP are:
- Safeguard access to dental care by respecting the current workplace, school and/or group dental insurance system
- Allow each patient to choose their own dentist in their community
- Ensure people can access the dental care they need without having to deal with needless administrative delays and red tape
- Work with existing government dental programs so people can get the most out of the dental care they’re entitled to
- Fairly compensate the dental professionals who deliver the care
Additionally, they suggest the government implement a coordinated plan to increase skilled labour for dental offices, amid the current staffing shortages of dental hygienists and assistants that has been seen across the country the last few years.
Read the full press release from the Canadian Press.